» Your year for Love and Happiness :)
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

» Invoking Venus to attract love :)
by Spiritual Hustler Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:20 pm

» A Journey of the Goddesses through the Chakra Systems
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:38 pm

» Voting with vibration..
by Spiritual Hustler Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:34 pm

» How to FREE yourself from the story of pain :)
by Spiritual Hustler Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:55 pm

» The medicine of the Dark Goddess
by Spiritual Hustler Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 pm

» Build the Queendom and they will come
by Spiritual Hustler Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 pm

» How to feel loved when you are feeling sad
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 am

» The Single Most Important Thing You can do for YOU
by Spiritual Hustler Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 pm

» Feel. Good. Now.
by Spiritual Hustler Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm

» Circumstances don’t matter..
by Spiritual Hustler Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

Top 10 Topics
• Neville's Teachings
• Manifesting through the Law of Giving / Recieving
• "Build it and it will come"
• 7 day manifestation experiment
• Limiting Beliefs
• "Attachment" and "Letting Go"
• On Suffering and Avoiding (Spira)
• What are you grateful for today?
• Procrastination and Laziness
• The "Others"

Poll

What is your favourite type of exercise?

Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_lcap0%Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_lcap33%Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_rcap 33% [ 1 ]
Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_lcap0%Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_lcap33%Why don't actors get what they play out? Vote_rcap 33% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Current Moon

Le Cafe Moon
Horoscopes
Gallery

Why don't actors get what they play out? Empty

Why don't actors get what they play out?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why don't actors get what they play out? Empty Why don't actors get what they play out?

Post by lunareclipse Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:06 am

Phantasm's quote -
Firstly, I'm not "only here for the gameplay". I'm here to discuss other things as well, but right now I'm busy in my REAL life and I like to come on here for the fantasy roleply fix. Secondly, yes there are many RPG forums. But this one is different because it's an LOA forum. It shouldn't take that much intelligence to see that there is a big difference between some dungeon and dragons game for kids and a directed adult RPG with LOA truths worked into it.

and this video I watched the other day -

got me thinking about this today. Actually there's another video where he speaks about how Minnie Driver told him that she spends hours every day getting into the full emotional place of the role as if that really was her life. So- since most movies are not about happy wealthy people, but like Phantasm says- people like movies with action, drama, misery, gore, violence... then- if actors really get into the feeling place of acting as if, then why aren't they all dying horrific deaths and suffering in misery? Why don't the roles they play translate into reality?

Same goes for gamers and this very game here. We already found out that Phantasm wants to attract some violence and gore into his life  Razz PLOA but would getting very emotionally attached and visual with this game start attracting similar things into your life? Oh in this case I will join this game as a powerful billionaire Lunar who does nothing else but travels around the world and has tea-parties Very Happy
Why don't actors get what they play out? Captain-Marvel-Art
lunareclipse
lunareclipse
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Zodiac : Leo

Back to top Go down

Why don't actors get what they play out? Empty Re: Why don't actors get what they play out?

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:37 am

loool I'm curious about this too. This is another of those Loa mysteries that doesn't seem to compute at least on the surface.
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Zodiac : Virgo

Back to top Go down

Why don't actors get what they play out? Empty Re: Why don't actors get what they play out?

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:00 am

lunareclipse wrote:Minnie Driver told him that she spends hours every day getting into the full emotional place of the role as if that really was her life. So- since most movies are not about happy wealthy people, but like Phantasm says- people like movies with action, drama, misery, gore, violence... then- if actors really get into the feeling place of acting as if, then why aren't they all dying horrific deaths and suffering in misery? Why don't the roles they play translate into reality?

Method acting is pretty big in Hollywood, in fact people are known to stay in character throughout the day even when they're not filming.

Why don't actors get what they play out? Q7x9m

The only answer I can think of right now is that they aren't attracting misery into their lives because they already have that misery - if they're good actors they actually do experience the emotions as if they are real. But you would think they would end up attracting even more misery than that.

Last edited by Phantasm on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:40 am

perhaps even though they're getting into character and playing the part and acting things out

their core belief system understands its not real?

the belief is rather.. this is fantasy

but then on the other hand... how many famous people end up with depression and other problems like drug addiction.. or they end up becoming reclusive, high profile divorces etc

its not all red carpets and fancy clothes!
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Zodiac : Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:18 pm

I don't know Night Eyes, at a core level the brain doesn't differentiate between reality and imagination. This is why visualizations work so well.

Even if you know the reality you're imagining is just in your head, you can still get the same emotions as you would if your visualization was actually happening. LOA 101, remember?

The fact that we don't believe something rationally doesn't stop our brains' basic emotional responses. E.g. if you imagine someone hugging you this releases the exact same amount of oxytocin as a real hug (source: Wise Brain Bulletin). So if visualizations like these work why shouldn't all-out method actors also manifest what they act?
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:16 pm

maybe they just attract the negativity and it manifests as something else, like public breakdown, or addiction or something.. i dont know

but then again, i'm always reading about how a lot of celebs are into spiritual things, and yoga and meditations, so maybe they have some kind of safeguard for it

perhaps they enjoy the role play? therefore creating a positive experience for themselves? they may getting into some deep dark character but they're enjoying themselves and having fun?

perhaps the character works as an outlet for them to release their own negativity.. they take everything they're feeling and release it into the character.. which leaves them feeling free and liberated

Night Eyes
Night Eyes
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:43 pm

Night Eyes wrote:perhaps they enjoy the role play? therefore creating a positive experience for themselves? they may getting into some deep dark character but they're enjoying themselves and having fun? perhaps the character works as an outlet for them to release their own negativity.. they take everything they're feeling and release it into the character.. which leaves them feeling free and liberated

Why don't actors get what they play out? Tumblr_np8luvDGHN1tm3jmyo2_500

Like us you mean? Or more accurately, me. You and Selinas characters are hopeless. Goody two shoes doesn't even describe it. More like goody three shoes or goody four shoes that's how bad their goody goodness is.  Razz
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:50 pm

But yeah. I've seen interviews with actors where they say playing the bad guy is a release. That if you work it all off you can be pure niceness IRL.
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:16 pm

I honestly don't have any idea about any of this, but can I just comment that the guy in the meme quote pic up there is soooo cuuuuute!! love2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:24 pm

I know I must seem like an intellectual featherweight saying it, but I keep coming back to this thread just to stare at that picture Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Oh...and...sorry to triple post but just remembered. Not *all* people like films with violence, Lunar. Wink And even people who do probably sometimes watch less violent stuff too...I'm sure even Phanty watches chick flicks *occasionally*... Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by lunareclipse Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:12 pm

SelinaM wrote:I honestly don't have any idea about any of this, but can I just comment that the guy in the meme quote pic up there is soooo cuuuuute!!

Who, Al Pacino? He's a bit old for you by now Razz PLOA

I know that some actors do end up addicted or depressed, but I don't know if that has been following certain roles or just dealing with fame and the lifestyle that comes along. Singers for example also suffer from depression, thinking MJ or Whitney Houston. Have you ever seen a person who is really famous? Have you noticed how people come up to them constantly "Oh YOU!! I know you! I have seen you in such and such! Here, take a selfie with me!" and then as soon as others see that they take a selfie with someone, everyone else wants one as well so it'll become an endless interaction with people who all say the same things every day all day.
Also, when you are famous, you will have haters and people slagging you off constantly. Like JK Rowling said in that interview- she never once thought about how being famous would be, that she'll go swimming on a beach and there are paparazzi sitting in the bushes, her pictures will be published next day with people commenting on the way her body looks.

Of course there are romantic nice movies, but think about Game of Thrones or Saw- how come the actors did not attract anything as horrendous to their life. One thing is depression, but acting out scenes of gore, rape etc..

Initially I also thought it must be belief system that fundamentally believes that this will not happen to them and in that case visualization alone would not do much at all. Do you remember that interview video with Neville's student where he said Neville told him to affirm to himself every day that he will NOT climb a ladder no matter what until he is absolutely confident that he will NOT climb a ladder, yet every night he had to imagine himself climbing a ladder. Then his father needed help with something and he was half way up the ladder when he realized that he was not supposed to climb any ladders. In that case the act of visualizing had over-ridden the belief.
lunareclipse
lunareclipse
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Zodiac : Leo

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:20 pm

lunareclipse wrote:
SelinaM wrote:I honestly don't have any idea about any of this, but can I just comment that the guy in the meme quote pic up there is soooo cuuuuute!!

Who, Al Pacino? He's a bit old for you by now Razz PLOA

That's Al Pacino? Really? Rolling Eyes

I'm sure even Phanty watches chick flicks *occasionally*...

No.
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:23 pm

And yeah, being famous is awful. Which is why I wear an apple over my face so that nobody recognizes me Wink
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by President Roosevelt Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Selina, you're gonna love this. Very romantic.

President Roosevelt
President Roosevelt
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ena Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:40 am

Hey everyone!

Very interesting topic...

I think the answer lies in the fact that we're all different and it's hard to make conclusions about someone's vibration by looking at what he's doing...

Although an actor really enters a tragic character and maybe even cries, the key is that the acting itself, no matter whom they play, is a big satisfaction for them, so in the essence they feel good, not bad...

What about people who practice BDSM in the bedroom? They are not going to manifest a rape experience..

Ena
Ena

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 am

yes Ena i think you're right, they are feeling good about the role so are on a positive vibration

perhaps when they have really gotten into a role, rather than manifest the same thing for themselves this is where the depression or the trappings of fame come in as thats what they've attracted, i think no matter how much they get into that role, the fear and the negativity wouldnt be the same as if they were truly experiencing the situation

ok for example.... i've watched enough scary films, yes you get into them and you get nervous and frightened and jumpy... so for example.. i've watched films where a person may be trapped in a house with someone trying to break in, and i've been like .. oh shit!.. and you get nervous and worry for the character

but i've also been in my house with someone trying to break in.... the real situation is always going to be far scarier and terrifying ... than the fake situation

so an actor can empathise and understand the feelings that go into their role, but perhaps psychologically they cant feel on the same level as if it was reality? therefore they would attract something less? especially with it being counteracted with their sense of pride and achievement at playing their role well.

i also think musicians are playing a character to some extent aswell, they have to be this magical, talented person, who's always happy and always such a good role model, they're moulded and shaped by their management to project a certain image.
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:03 pm

I do think that even "method" actors still have the core belief that they are who they are and not their character. They KNOW that "getting into a role" is simply that, and they are not actually becoming the character.

Also, these movie roles are of course only temporary. Once shooting is done they go back to being themselves or prepare for another role.

And then there is what others have pointed out. There actually is a lot substance abuse and tumult, even mental illness etc. in many actor's lives. We have to remember that for instance if we are involved in a car accident for example it doesn't necessarily mean we were specifically focused on being involved in a car accident. An overall negative vibration can manifest itself in a number of ways, not just in our specific fears.

So an actor who plays a serial killer isn't gonna end up going on a killing spree. (Thank goodness!) but the dark feelings that came about from playing the role may lead them to taking drugs to cope. Or they may end up being moody and difficult at home and the result is a divorce. And that could be why they seem to have more of the issues that were mentioned above than the rest of us.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't know, I'm still not convinced. When I visualize myself eating pizza I still have the core belief that I'm hungry. But that doesn't stop me from manifesting a pizza....
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 pm

Well there are lots of people who have mental illness and experience things that aren't real. It's real to them but not real to the rest of us.

Something to think about.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Are you saying that mentally ill patients experience something as real but don't manifest it?

Lol that's one of the things that always made me skeptical about LOA, I mean however you look at it there are contradictions - just as in Christianity, say, so many different interpretations of the same Bible. So many different churches. We all know ask, believe, receive, but there are so many LOA controversies when you get down to it. In the end you can argue things are this way because of that or the other way because of this, but there is generally no consensus... and it seems to me this is just one of those things.

You have mental illness, you believe, say, that your bowler hat is actually your wife.

Why don't actors get what they play out? 1709746_orig

Is that going to manifest your wife being a bowler hat? Of course not.
This is a nonsense example, obviously, but yes, the people with mental illness don't manifest the things they  believe. Or they certainly don't seem to. Why is that?

It's possible to find many different ways of explaining such a simple thing. Say there was a man who was paranoid someone was going to kill him and lived in a state of constant fear. Why does he not get killed? Why? Well, people explain it differently, for example "the negativity manifests in some other generalised negative experience just not death." Or others may say, "he had an underlying positive life belief" or some other crap, no offence. But if the LOA were really as simple as we're always told it is, he *would* attract an early death.

LOA isn't simple at all. Which is why, though I believe in the power of thought to alter our reality, I think the word "law" in LOA may actually be a bit of an overstatement. It should be more like a 'theory' of attraction, with a subset of different 'laws' or, more accurately, 'principles'.

Apart from anything else, classical LOA - "you always attract what you are/believe/think" - actually blames the victim, that is - look at Titanic for example. They all attracted their deaths? Or, better still, the happy little kid who honestly had no bad life experiences and practically no negative thoughts. How would she manifest being killed in a car accident? These things happen, but if LOA is a *constant* then it would mean that the kid "attracted" the accident somehow.

That doesn't sit comfortably with me at all. You're blaming the kid for getting killed? Because, what, she cried once or twice over not getting the toy she wanted?

We can change our realities yes. Thought has immense power yes. We can attract things into our lives yes. But why is the pizza example different from the mental patient's or the actors? I have the core belief that I don't have pizza, but I visualize it, and it comes to me, e.g. my girlfriend miraculously turns up at the door in one of those cute delivery uniforms holding a pizza. (yeah sorry had to give you a vivid example) ... I had the emotional experience of getting and eating a pizza while my underlying belief was "hell no I have no pizza" and my rumbling stomach confirmed that belief. And yet the pizza came.

In that case, it OUGHT to mean that the actor who has the underlying belief that he isn't really losing a loved one BUT *experiences* vividly the emotions connected with death DOES in fact attract the experience of death into his life.

A law is a constant. If it only applies to some situations it isn't a law.
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:58 pm

well... if the mental patient thinks he has a relationship with a bowler hat.... it's real in their reality

look at kids and imaginary friends... for them its real.. its not real to us because its not our reality

someone who thinks people are trying to kill him... might not manifest actually being killed, but you can sure bet they'll draw in a lot of negativity and perhaps what they consider 'close' escapes

although it has been noted that people with anxiety tend to be a lot more safer because they're more attentive to their surroundings and potential dangers
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:48 pm

Night Eyes wrote:well... if the mental patient thinks he has a relationship with a bowler hat.... it's real in their reality

look at kids and imaginary friends... for them its real.. its not real to us because its not our reality

But wouldn't that mean that in the mental patient's reality he does actually get killed?

This "but it's real for me" argument, on the level of philosophy of science, is a load of bull; there's objective and subjective reality; objectively, fairies don't exist.

Why don't actors get what they play out? 481f55276cc0824872f142a2dfb4718e

Subjectively, sure. But no matter how much you believe in fairies, it is only a subjective reality in which they exist. Just as the mental patient may have a frickin bowler hat for a wife in his subjective reality. It doesn't affect the world around you. You can be schizophrenic and have voices in your head and believe that your best friend will die and hallucinate their death and yet not have that person die in objective reality.

Why don't actors get what they play out? Magritte3091

Obviously yes you can go down into metaphysics, what is the forest like when no one's there to observe it, but take the example again of a little kid.
Very positive life experiences, believes with every fibre of her being that she's going to get what she wants. She wants new BMX bike say. Wink And she believes she'll get it. There is nothing in the world to make her think she won't, because every time she's made a wish all her life it's been granted (behind-the-scenes work by her parents).
She has a great imagination and imagines having the bike with all the emotion of a master visualizer.

And yet she doesn't get the bike, because this time her parents have decided they can't afford it.
Now unless she's actually delusional, which kids generally arent, even her subjective reality will not match her previous beliefs and expectations of getting the bike. She didn't manifest the bike because something in the objective world made it impossible.

someone who thinks people are trying to kill him... might not manifest actually being killed, but you can sure bet they'll draw in a lot of negativity and perhaps what they consider 'close' escapes

although it has been noted that people with anxiety tend to be a lot more safer because they're more attentive to their surroundings and potential dangers

Well yes, your second paragraph there is a case in point. In fact I've read plenty of stories of pessimists actually ending up with results they never expected, while the few times they did expect to get what they wanted they didn't, for example.

I've also read that - even though worrying's bad for your health - worriers tend to be higher achievers and generally more successful in life than non-worriers, exactly because they take everything so seriously. It was in New Scientist I think, maybe in 2008, 2009.
They don't attract their worries into their experience. Their worries make them work harder and thus achieve better results. Objective reality. Results.

Yes, the negativity is going to manifest in some other area of their life. But... on the other hand... can we say that if someone was extremely happy and placid, maybe mentally damaged so that he or she had no fears whatsoever, he would never experience any kind of negativity?

Is it possible to experience life on earth without negativity?
I don't think so. Good and bad go together. You can be happy and cheery and yet something bad can happen to you. It's unavoidable.

And so the Buddha said,

Life is suffering.

and yeah, once you reach nirvana...maybe there's no more negativity. That is, you could be an enlightened being and yet be involved in a car accident, but maybe you just wouldn't see it as a negative event any more.
But once you have that, there's also no more point of existing on this earth. You become pure spirit. There's nothing holding you here.

So going back to our original question, why don't actors attract what they act out? Crappy books like The Secret will sell you ideas of "ohhhhh if you want a girlfriend make room in your wardrobe and buy a double bed", will teach you to live in make believe essentially. But how does this change your core belief? Anyone who says that deep down the person acting as if in this scenario is somehow *better* at acting than say Daniel Day-Lewis is kidding themselves. You can buy the double bed and pretend the girl is in there with you but you can't convince me that your core belief changes here any more than Day-Lewis's core belief that he is in fact Day-Lewis and not Abraham Lincoln.

Actors acting terrible things may attract negativity into other aspects of their lives, yes. But on the other hand life never seems to be completely good or bad. I wonder if really, the actor who experiences misery on set isn't in fact a happy person with relatively few negative experiences off set? That maybe he's already worked off his negativity quotient for a while... this is pure speculation of course, but if there isn't a hard and fast answer to Lunar's question, then I'm not entirely sure speculation like this is at all inappropriate.
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Eyes Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:54 pm

doesnt a fairy die when you bless someone after sneezing aswell?

i dont know the answer Phanty pants if i'm honest, i guess its all down to perspective?
Night Eyes
Night Eyes
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Phantasm Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:58 pm

"doesnt a fairy die when you bless someone after sneezing aswell?"

I'd never head that. Cool Twisted Evil
the quote I posted was from Peter Pan of course. I'll never forget that movie, the 2003 one...my friend and I loved it...lol I always used to act Peter and she was Wendy...teens lol

Why don't actors get what they play out? Original
Phantasm
Phantasm
Top Poster
Top Poster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum