» Your year for Love and Happiness :)
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

» Invoking Venus to attract love :)
by Spiritual Hustler Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:20 pm

» A Journey of the Goddesses through the Chakra Systems
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:38 pm

» Voting with vibration..
by Spiritual Hustler Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:34 pm

» How to FREE yourself from the story of pain :)
by Spiritual Hustler Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:55 pm

» The medicine of the Dark Goddess
by Spiritual Hustler Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 pm

» Build the Queendom and they will come
by Spiritual Hustler Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:13 pm

» How to feel loved when you are feeling sad
by Spiritual Hustler Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:35 am

» The Single Most Important Thing You can do for YOU
by Spiritual Hustler Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:18 pm

» Feel. Good. Now.
by Spiritual Hustler Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm

» Circumstances don’t matter..
by Spiritual Hustler Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:04 pm

Top posting users this week
No user

Top 10 Topics
• Neville's Teachings
• Manifesting through the Law of Giving / Recieving
• "Build it and it will come"
• 7 day manifestation experiment
• Limiting Beliefs
• "Attachment" and "Letting Go"
• On Suffering and Avoiding (Spira)
• What are you grateful for today?
• Procrastination and Laziness
• The "Others"

Poll

What is your favourite type of exercise?

The "others" - Page 5 Vote_lcap0%The "others" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
The "others" - Page 5 Vote_lcap33%The "others" - Page 5 Vote_rcap 33% [ 1 ]

Total Votes : 3

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Current Moon

Le Cafe Moon
Horoscopes
Gallery

The "others" - Page 5 Empty

The "others"

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The "others" - Page 5 Empty Re: The "others"

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:37 am

Synchronicity, Willow? Very Happy

I keep seeing a book on the Dead Sea Scrolls every time I'm researching at the Bodleian Library in Oxford. It just keeps popping up at me. I wonder what it's trying to tell me. Wink

The "others" - Page 5 D5b1ee03dcad1f2365599b1a6461691a

The "others" - Page 5 Tumblr_nqfgxd86iQ1uvaq80o1_250

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:41 pm

Someone here has to know something about the Dead Sea Scrolls!

I am glad that this thread got bumped because there was some interesting discussion there at the end I wanted to get back to but as always I got sidetracked.

Getting back to the earlier discussion, I'm not so sure if I buy into all of that Freudian interpretation of everything.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:14 pm

Kazoo, with the Freudian interpretation reference - are you talking about sexuality and the Fall? Because that's what I'm writing about right now in my current research paper Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Not just as it relates to The Fall but the whole sexual energy/manifestation energy stuff too. I guess I just don't agree every single thing in the world is related to sex.

Going with the Biblical, Jesus was not a sexual being was he? How about Buddhist monks? Maybe I am misreading or misunderstanding what is trying to be conveyed and the point is that these people channel the energy that would otherwise be channeled into sexual desire into their manifestations, but it seems that the theory is that sexual energy increases manifestation energy. If that was the case we'd all be headed to the bedroom or the strip club to manifest.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 pm

I love you, Kazoo. Because I agree. I think sexual energy can be useful (just think of Vivekananda on ojas), and after all it is the life-giving force; without it we wouldn't exist; but I don't think it's actually necessary to spirituality, quite the contrary some would argue...which is of course why monks and nuns of any kind practise celibacy.

*expects a long rant from PR about same-sex desire in Christian monasteries and convents "due to sexuality being an irrepressible force"*

The "others" - Page 5 Tumblr_n12k6tIw6i1rdfgw4o1_500

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:01 am

I specifically chose male examples of Jesus and monks to kinda counter the idea that all men have to be horn dogs. (I know there are theories about Jesus and Mary Magdalene but I don't buy them...)

I do however love the irony of you using a screen test of Vivien Leigh for your eye rolling, as she was reportedly quite the nympho during her manic phases.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:24 am

kazoo wrote:I do however love the irony of you using a screen test of Vivien Leigh  for your eye rolling, as she was reportedly quite the nympho during her manic phases.

I never knew! But is it really true? Shocked A lot of classic film stars slept around a lot didn't they, regardless of gender...? [I'm not even talking about today's film stars...] Not only womanisers like Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole...  well, there was obviously Marilyn Monroe....

The "others" - Page 5 200_s

Though...I actually read that she wasn't...that she didn't...God Rolling Eyes well, that she didn't enjoy it...I'm not sure if it's true or not, but...

*If* I remember correctly, they talk about it somewhere in here, and it's BBC, so it should be accurate

Yes, I've read about the Jesus-Mary Magdalene connection too; I'm unsure. I'd say "no", but on the other hand I don't think it would actually be wrong for him to have that sort of earthly love experience. Then again, I'm not a Christian; I'm not a Buddhist either, but closer to Buddhiosm, and the idea of the Buddha having a sexual love relationship once enlightened..... Out of the question.

Actually in Thich Nhat Hanh's book, Fidelity (which is really about sensual love), the monk talks about such human "cravings" as being natural, though fed by the media, e.g. love songs, etc. - such media is to be avoided by novice monks (and probably more advanced ones too). So perhaps even monks are not immune to such things.
Have you read Hesse's Siddhartha? There of course we have the moving away from sensual love as the hero develops spiritually.

I've also read at least one article about the human "sex drive" as being a culturally constructed myth. This doesn't make much sense, as if there was no sex drive, why would we bother to procreate? As Leonardo da Vinci put it, "The act of procreation and everything connected with it is so disgusting that mankind would soon die out if it were not an old-established custom and if there were not pretty faces and sensuous natures." Very Happy Another example of a man who is more interested in the interior life than the physical.

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:51 am

When I say that Leigh was a nymphomaniac I mean it in the truest sense, not just that she slept around like the typical Hollywood stereotype.  It was part of her bipolar disorder.

Mary Magdalene was a much maligned woman, and scholars now do agree she was not the prostitute in the story of feet washing but unfortunately I don't think her reputation ever recovered from that (perhaps intentional) confusion.

I'm not denying that sex is essential, obviously it is a requirement for procreation.  I am also not trying to dismiss the role that the normal sex drive plays as a motivator in people's lives.  But I am trying to say that sometimes a cigar really is just a cigar and sex doesn't have to be at the root of everything.  We are much more complex than that.

Last edited by kazoo on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:07 am

Lol I had "a cigar is sometimes just a cigar" in the pre-edited version of the post that now has Vivien Leigh. Very Happy I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to contradict you in any way, I was almost thinking out loud -- you see it's only very recently that I had a cognitive shift about this whole area; until then I more or less sided with da Vinci and would have honestly preferred a wholly celibate life. To me it still seems a little odd to think that any Buddhist monk might have some sort of sensual craving, ever. (other than craving for food...that is more understandable Razz though again, I doubt that a spiritually disciplined person would ever hanker for ice cream, for example). So I'm coming at it from the opposite angle, the angle of someone who was once almost asexual, peering in and thinking, really? is it really possible for monks and nuns to have sexual drives at all?*

I don't think sex is in any way at the root of everything we do; I'm more with Jung than Freud on this one. In fact I'm generally more with Jung, though I've admittedly read precious little primary material from either. I have a well-worn copy of Jung's Man and His Symbols that's actually my parents' Rolling Eyes and also his Psychology East and West, and have read (some of) Freud's Totem and Taboo and some of his essays, but most of what I know is acquired from secondary sources and even hearsay. From my understanding, though, I'm Jung at heart. Very Happy

*I remember being very shocked reading Never Let Me Go, where Kathy repeatedly gets "urges to do it with just about anyone"... and is told that this is "normal; everyone has them"

Back to top Go down

Post by rodan Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:10 am

kazoo wrote:Someone here has to know something about the Dead Sea Scrolls!

I am glad that this thread got bumped because there was some interesting discussion there at the end I wanted to get back to but as always I got sidetracked.

Getting back to the earlier discussion, I'm not so sure if I buy into all of that Freudian interpretation of everything.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are writings, both  scripture and secular that predate 68 AD.

The small group of scholars that have been studying them, since 1947, when they were first discovered buried in a cave, say these scrolls are authentic.

For reference, King James authorized the Bible to be written, in English ( early 1600's ).  The result was the " King James Version " of the bible.

The Dead Sea Scrolls validate the Old Testament writings of the King James Version.  There were a few misspellings of some words, but, the meanings were there., so these scholars said, but, overall, the written scripture was accurate.

This small group of scholars only released about twenty percent of find, after 45 years.

Fifty years later, approx.  1997,  more were released, that referenced the New Testament, and even information about Jesus of Nazareth.    

Check out this link:

http://www.grantjeffrey.com/article/article1.htm

This explains what the Dead Sea Scrolls are.

Now, here's another one for you to ponder, Kazoo. Maybe you are someone in here knows more about them. I know less about these than the Dead Sea Scrolls.

The Nag Hammadi Library, discovered in upper Egypt in 1945. These were supposedly buried around 300 to 400 AD. They were considered to be works of ficton, non-canonical writings. That's why they didn't make it into the bible.

They were also called the "Lost books of the Bible ", or, Apocrypha.

The authors of these writings could not be verified.

Something I've always had an interest in, for many years, is the subject of:

" The Shroud of Turin ". I was raised Catholic so I always had an interest in this subject. For those that don't know, this artifact is said to be the shroud, the burial cloth of Jesus Christ, when he was buried in the tomb. It has been examined by scientists back in 1978 and some test on the samples in 1988.

Even though much evidence points to the shroud being what is was thought to be, carbon 14 tests done on some very small pieces of the shroud, to be from around 1300 to 1400 ad.

New tests show otherwise. That is is from around 100 ad.

Anyway, I find subjects like these three very interesting.
rodan
rodan
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks rodan! I'm Catholic too, went to Catholic school and the whole deal but I don't really consider myself religious. I have a familiarity with all of those things and I've seen documentaries but I can't to speak of them in too much depth.

Of all of them I know most about the Shroud. I remain open minded about it. It's really crazy how so many contradictory theories about it are out there. It is fascinating how the archaeological and scientific evidence often ends up confirming the Bible.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rodan Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:21 am

kazoo wrote: ...........The Bible is said to be the word of God but it was written by men.  Of course the content reflects what men wanted to convey, but it's interesting to consider why the stories have been recorded as they were.  Whether it's God or earlier men, there definitely was a desire to keep us limited in our beliefs and thinking and knowledge.................

This is one of your older replies in this thread, still on the topic of "Dead Sea Scrolls"

The Bible is as you say, it's supposed to be the word of God, written by God inspired men.

We still have modern day men who say they are " inspired " by God to pass on to others, not just in regular religion, but, well, let's look at Abraham Hicks and Bashar, channelers. Might be a poor comparison, but, my point is, Darryl Anka, says he gets his information from " Bashar ", that he then gives to his listeners. Now he doesn't say he gets it from " God " , but, from entities. And, there are many channelers, and, not's let forget those others that are gifted to reveal what they receive from higher beings.

My point, here, is not to say whether one is right and the other wrong, my point is to show these are not what individual men want to convey. They say they get his information from a higher source.

Back to the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Old Testament.....

Assuming the writings are true, valid, just as the authors say they happened, some of these men experienced some really supernatural events. Some of them wrote down as they were instructed by God, others how they interpreted what they experienced.

Now, when you read the Old Testament, some of those writings reveal a pretty angry God, as well as a loving God. It makes you wonder if there was more than one " God " written about, in those writings, doesn't it?

As I said in a reply recently, the Dead Sea Scrolls match up what the modern day Bible has, at least the Old Testament section. It is an interesting note, what those scholars who are going through these Dead Sea Scrolls, are holding back on revealing yet, if anything that they have discovered.

Of what they have revealed, it shows there have been no changes to the meanings of the books of the Old Testament, meaning, men did not change things written to suite their needs, over the last two or three thousand years. What was written then, still has it's same meaning in today's modern world.
rodan
rodan
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kazoo Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:25 pm

I wanted to revisit this thread with a situation I've been dealing with at work.

I work as part of a small team and we have a new member who has made things, uh, challenging. First, let me say he's a perfectly nice guy but there seems to be something "off" about him that is making it difficult for him to be able to perform his duties.

Our job is not rocket science. And it's very routine-we do the same tasks over and over again. He's long past the point where he should need to have things explained to him but we have to- over and over- pretty much instruct him as if it's his first day. Sometimes he seems to have forgotten things we told him literally minutes earlier. Not only is he not pulling his weight, (which I could deal with if that's all it was...) he often makes mistakes that we have to fix costing us time.

It's a little frustrating when we are stuck at work late to finish everything we need to get done when we wouldn't be if we had a "normal" person helping us out or when our schedules are affected because he needs supervising. Our boss is frustrated by him too and has told us basically we have to find a way to make it work but we haven't been able to find tasks he can complete properly or a role for him that's a good fit.

Now on top of that I feel bad because I think he might have overheard us discussing the situation a few times and I don't want to be part of making someone feel bad if he did. Especially if there is some sort of cognitive issue he's dealing with and it's not his fault. Like I said, he's a perfectly nice guy. Just not too sharp or he's in his own world or something.

So, now, since I gravitate more toward the idea that all of us at work collectively attracted him into our realities, rather than this being something I am in sole control of is there a way I can change this scenario at all? Even if somehow I could start believing he's employee of the month material, since I believe in the idea that we are all co-creators wouldn't all of my coworkers also have to get on board with that too?

In a lot of ways it's easier to deal with someone who is just an asshole, lol.
kazoo
kazoo
Founder
Founder

Female

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Freya Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:03 am

Bump Smiley (I'm apparently turning into wwesrk)
Freya
Freya
Top Poster
Top Poster

Female

Zodiac : Capricorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5